For March 2020, Woodlawn volunteers responded to 32 incidents, bringing the year-to-date total to 131. As always, we thank you for your support, and we encourage you to continue following the public health directives through this crisis. ... See moreSee less
Even during a health crisis, fire safety is still important! Watch this video to see how an actual house fire started, and especially notice when the smoke alarms sound and how the residents react. You may think smoke from a fire would wake you, but it actually can cause you to enter a deeper sleep; many deaths from house fires are caused in this way. That is why smoke alarms are so loud and difficult to ignore....but they need to be installed correctly, and you must regularly change the batteries.
On Sunday, February 23rd at approximately 12:34 AM, the Joplin Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire with people possibly still inside. A Joplin Police Department officer in the neighborhood patroling arrived at the same time we were getting the call and was able to assist all occupants out of the structure through the back door. Fortunately, there were no injuries during this fire and the family has agreed to allow us to share security video from the fire to help share important safety information.
The video we obtained from this fire drives home the importance of equipping your home with smoke alarms, developing escape plans with your family in the event of a fire, and also how quickly a fire can spread. The video begins in the living room with a small child sleeping on the sofa. The fire was an accidental fire that originated on the front porch and then being wind driven advanced quickly and breeched into the home blocking the front door and stairwell almost immediately. The small child can be heard coughing while she sleeps from smoke that is entering the home and even sleeps through the fire breaching into the front of the house. This home was protected by a fire alarm system that when activated set off an audible alarm and advised there was a fire in the house. This woke the small child who reacted immediately by escaping the other direction, which according to family members is what they taught her. The video ends showing the entire family exiting the back of the house to safety as the entire family was awakened by the alarm going off.
This family was in real danger of being trapped and/or overcome by smoke and fire due to how quickly it was advancing. It took just a few seconds to become a free burning fire that had blocked the stairwell and front exit. If the alarm had not sounded it is possible that the family would not have have had time to escape to safety.
Please ask yourself these questions: Does your home have functioning smoke detectors? Have you taught your children what to do if there is a fire? What is your backup plan if you can't get out of a house? This could very well save your life.
We want to sincerely thank this family for allowing us to share their video of this during their time of tragedy so that we can possibly save others. We also want to thank them for taking the steps necessary to ensure the safety of their family when their fire occurred. ... See moreSee less
You probably (hopefully?) moved your clocks ahead one hour today. Did you check your smoke detectors? Just having them isn't enough, make sure you follow the manufacturer's recommended service schedule. You can also read more from NFPA on how to keep your home safe. ... See moreSee less
For the month of February, Woodlawn volunteers responded to 49 calls for service, bringing the 2020 total to an even 100. Thank you for all your support!
Looking to help your community, save lives and property, and be part of something rewarding? Stop in Monday nights at 7pm for our weekly training, or anytime someone is here during the week, for an application! We offer department-paid training and equipment, along with the opportunity to provide a necessary service to your friends and neighbors. ... See moreSee less
Firefighters learn about certain watershed fires over the ages that change everything. The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory (New York City) in 1911, Our Lady of the Angels School (Chicago) in 1958, and the Cocoanut Grove Nightclub (Boston) in 1942 are commonly discussed as major incidents with high death tolls, which all led to advancements in building codes and firefighting techniques.
The Station Nightclub fire (Warwick, R.I.) in 2002 is a much more recent job and bears a particular connection to the Lehigh Valley. 100 people died in the blaze, including the guitarist for the band Great White performing that night. Just a week earlier, Great White was denied permission to use the same pyrotechnics in their performance at Crocodile Rock in Allentown; they reportedly used a much reduced display here, but went ahead with a dramatic array of fireworks and sparklers in Warwick that was later found to be the proximate cause of the inferno.
Today is the 18th anniversary of this tragedy. We remember the loss of life by learning from what went wrong that night, but we always remember that the next turning point fire could always be minutes away.2/20/2003 The Station Nightclub Fire
WATCH THE National Institute of Standards and Technology VIDEO: youtu.be/IxiOXZ55hbc
EVAC RECREATION VIDEO: youtu.be/9Feb_pVfnpg
RAW VIDEO: youtu.be/bknYdprA9ug
National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) VIDEO: youtu.be/mxVd3ZnvayY
(Post Credits: Firefighter Close Calls - Home of The Secret List). ... See moreSee less